Statewide Insurance Group Logo
Get a quote today! 888-575-1144

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question we haven't covered, please fill out our contact form.

What are the advantages of using an independent agent to purchase insurance?

Independent agents have access to multiple insurance carriers and offer their clients many more options. Arguably, the most important benefit of working with an Independent Statewide Agent Insurance Agent is choice and personalized service with faster, more efficient Claim Processing. Because Independent Statewide Agents represent several insurance carriers, you get choices with precise coverage. Independent Statewide Agents are personal advisers that not only find you competitive pricing but also make sure you are well covered.

How do you find insurance records from a previous owner of a car?

Insurance Records are protected under State and Federal Privacy laws. There is no legitimate legal reason for a person to want to obtain the "insurance records" of a previous owner. The attempt to do so could constitute an invasion of that person's privacy rights. Any coverage or compensation paid to a previous owner would not extend to the new owner as the new owner was not an insured and did not have a financial interest in the property (vehicle) prior to the purchasing of it. The previous insurer's obligation was to the previous insured owner. Those obligations ceased when the policy expired, terminated or when the vehicle was sold to another individual. If you are interested in the vehicle history, accidents, previous damage or repairs and such, this can be obtained through CarFax and other similar online services.

What is the difference between collision and comprehensive insurance?

Collision insurance covers damages to your car when your vehicle collides with another car or object. For example, if you hit a car in a parking lot or on the road, the damages to your car will be paid under your collision coverage. Comprehensive insurance provides coverage for direct physical damage losses to your car other than collision, including theft. For example, damage to your car from a hailstorm will be covered under your comprehensive coverage.

Does my car insurance cover me if I rent a car?

The most common question when it comes to renting a car for domestic travel is, “do I need rental car insurance coverage?” The simple answer is: it depends. You want to make sure you and your rental vehicle are covered, but you also don’t want to pay for unnecessary duplicate insurance coverages that could double the price of your rental. If you carry comprehensive and liability coverage on your personal car, coverage will typically extend to your rental car within the continental United States. It does not, however, cover the loss of rental income to the rental car company following an accident. You will be responsible for the loss of income for every day that the rental car is out of the fleet being repaired. If you are traveling outside of the United States, we highly recommend you look for local coverage through the rental car company or your credit card company, if available.

Do you need auto insurance when you have a learner's permit?

That depends, but usually yes. If you drive a car, you definitely need insurance. Just because you have a learner's permit, does not mean you have to have insurance, but it is a good idea. You never know if - or when - you might get into an accident, so make sure you have the right coverage.

Why do you have to add your child to your car insurance policy if they never drive your car?

If the child is a licensed driver living in your household, the insurance company assumes that he will drive the car. It is possible to have an exclusion added to the policy (more likely to be the company's decision after the minor has had 3 or 4 claims) that states the child will not drive it. If you have this exclusion, there is NO COVERAGE IF THE KID IS DRIVING, so don't even let him back it out of the garage.

What is the difference between “actual cash value” and “replacement cost”?

Covered losses under a homeowners policy can be paid on either an actual cash value basis or on a replacement cost basis. Sometimes abbreviated at ACV, “actual cash value” is sometimes interpreted to mean “fair market value,” which means the policy owner is entitled to the depreciated value of the damaged property. “Replacement cost” coverage means the policy owner is reimbursed on an amount necessary to replace the article with one of similar type and quality at current prices. The only difference between replacement cost and actual cash value is a deduction for depreciation. However, both are based on the cost today to replace the damaged property with a new property.

Do I need flood insurance?

The easy answer to the question is, “Do I need SC flood insurance?” The answer is yes! You do need flood insurance if you own property. It is your choice as to whether purchasing flood insurance makes financial sense. But the truth of the matter is that a flood can happen anywhere, not just in traditional flood zones. Many areas that had never seen significant water before were completely destroyed. A standard home insurance policy is not going to cover a loss resulting from a flood. It’s important that you do not confuse flood insurance with water-backup and sump pump failure coverage, which is the result of water backing up into the house through pipes and drains. This coverage can be easily endorsed onto most home insurance policies.

Where and when is my personal property covered?

This one is easy. Personal property (except property that is specifically excluded) is covered anywhere in the world. Let’s say that while traveling, you purchase a dresser and want to ship it home. Your homeowners' policy provides coverage for the “named perils” while the dresser is in transit – even though the dresser has never been in your home before.

Why do I need insurance for my business?

Simply, yes. Starting your own business means taking on some degree of risk. As a business owner, you already have the passion and drive to take on new challenges, but you'll also need to protect the value of the assets you purchase for your company. Insurance can help you recover when things go wrong. From property losses related to items such as fire or theft to liability issues should someone sue – or threaten to sue. With the proper policies in place, you'll gain peace of mind and feel more comfortable in your new role as an entrepreneur.

What steps should I take to make sure my insurance matches my growing business?

This is a good problem to have. As your business expands, you may outgrow the standard Business Owners Policy and require more protection. It is always a good idea to review your insurance coverage annually with your Statewide Agent to make sure your coverage keeps pace with your business growth. As the market, your business, and economy changes, your insurance coverage can keep up to make sure you are well protected. Your Independent Statewide Agent can determine if any additional policies would offer a more beneficial level of risk protection.

What types of business insurance do I need?

The right answer is that it depends. Business insurance can be adapted to your specific business needs, but having the right coverage means having the right information. Recommended coverages often depend on the type of business you have and the risk protection your business will need to stay healthy and whole. At a minimum, you should carry business property and business liability insurance – this often comes in the core business owners policy, or BOP. Got employees? You need worker’s compensation insurance. And let’s talk about autos, trucks, equipment, contents, bonds, and more. There are a lot of different coverages and some very affordable solutions to make sure you are well protected. If you've never shopped for a business policy, a Statewide Agent can help you sort through the options and suggest policies that best fit your company. We mean it when we say a “Great State of No Worries.”

How does an umbrella insurance policy work?

An umbrella insurance policy works exactly as the name describes. The umbrella policy sits over the top of your underlying insurance policies and provides an extra layer of liability insurance – ABOVE what you already have in place. In the case of a personal umbrella, underlying policies would include auto insurance, homeowners insurance, boat insurance, rental property insurance, etc. If the limit of liability is used up on the underlying policy, then the umbrella kicks in to provide additional coverage. Commercial umbrella coverage works almost the same way, except for the underlying commercial coverages. Umbrella insurance policies are an important part of every insurance program.

Drop us a note

Required fields

Outdated Browser

You can still view our website, but for a better experience, we recommend updating your browser.

Visit one of the following to download a fresh new browser: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge